According to statistics released by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, there have been more than ten million cosmetic procedures performed in theU.S.in 2012.

These include both surgical and non-surgical procedures done by certified physicians in the country.

From the previous year, the number of cosmetic surgeries performed increased by 3%. Of all procedures in 2012, 17% were surgical.

Breast augmentation was found to be the most commonly performed, having been carried out 330,631 times in that year.

Among the other popular surgical procedures are liposuction (313,011 procedures), abdominoplasy or tummy tuck (156,508), blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery (153,171), and rhinoplasty (143,801).

The increased demand for breast augmentation may relate to the improved availability of silicone gel implants.

Since 2006, silicone implants have significantly increased in popularity over saline implants. In 2012, only 28% of breast augmentations involved saline implants, while the other 72% employed silicone.

Ninety percent of all procedures were performed on women, amounting to a total of 9.1 million. Only one million were done on men.

The number of procedures done on women has increased by over 252% since 1997, while those involving men increased by 106%.

ll surgical procedures concerning women, breast augmentation as the most commonly requested. Liposuction is the second most in-demand, followed by abdominoplasy, blepharoplasty and breast lifts.

As for men, liposuction is at the top of the list, followed by rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, breast reduction and ear-shaping.

Of the remaining 39%, $2 billion were spent on injectable procedures, $1.8 billion on skin rejuvenation, and $483 million on minimally invasive procedures such as laser treatments., approximately $11 billion were spent on cosmetic procedures in theUnited States. $6.7 billion of that amount was allotted for surgeries, covering 61% of the total expenditures.

There have been 8.5 non-surgical cosmetic procedures performed in 2012, increasing by more than 10% in the previous year.

The most in-demand were Botulinum Toxin Type-A injections – including Dysport and Botox – having been carried out a whopping 3,257,913 times in that year.

The second most popular are Hyaluronic Acid treatments, with a total of 1,423,705. This is followed by laser hair removal (with 883,893 treatments), microdermabrasion (498,821), and chemical peels (443,824).

If the statistics were also to include cosmetic procedures (whether surgical or non-surgical) that were performed by doctors together with their assistants, the number rises to a total of 12.7 million.

The process most frequently performed by doctors with their assistants is the Botulinium Toxin injection, amounting to 4,125,179 procedures in 2012.

There were also 1,806,806 Hyaluronic Acid treatments, 1,224,920 laser hair removals, 718,465 chemical peels, as well as 672,430 microdermabrasion procedures.

According to the Aesthetic Society, the total number of cosmetic procedures has increased by 250% in the past 15 years. The Society has conducted its research in conjunction with RealSelf, and online community specializing in data about cosmetic treatments.

The above statistics are based on data gathered from 1997 to 2012 by The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

With the help of an independent firm, questionnaires were distributed to 23,000 doctors, including 5,400 plastic surgeons, 9,300 dermatologists and 8,300 otolaryngologists. 837 questionnaires were returned, 772 of which were accomplished by doctors still actively practicing in 2012.

For the national statistics, the gathered data was extrapolated, based on the 25,750 practicing certified physicians in the country. ASAPS is very confident of the accuracy of these figures, acknowledging only a +/- 3.47% error margin for the surveys.